Wednesday 28 June 2017

Art Bead Scene June Challenge

For June’s Art Bead Scene challenge this very bright and colourful pastel drawing by Odelin Redon is the star of the show



Although the colours are extremely bright and colourful there are many images hidden within the artwork that point to darker influences. You can read about these on the inspiration challenge post

This month I have made several necklaces and a few bracelets for different purposes and decided I wanted to go with something less elaborate. I made these 2 pair of earrings, with a charm all their own

Galaxies and Night Glow

The first pair that I made are the Galaxies earrings. The polymer clay charms were created by Sue Lin Tarnowski. Though I think she was channeling a cross cut in a tree limb, I saw galaxies. The bright pink background reminds me of bubblegum that was popular in my much younger days and to my eye works well with the colour palette of the artwork. I added some translucent rose quartz ovals and used sterling silver for the final touch

Galaxies

For the Night Glow earrings I actually used the back of the polymer clay charms, also created by Sue Lin Tarnowski. Although I loved the front with its abstract inlayed pattern and darker versions of the same colours, it was the back side I first saw when sorting through my collection of charms

Night Glow

I used bright green chrysoberyl rounds (cats eyes) to bring the green out even more and again finished the set with sterling silver

Why did I choose to use the reverse of the charms as the focus for these earrings? Just before I started selecting my art beads I had seen this photo from the Astronomy Picture of the Day website. Though the colours are different the scattering of stars is perfect

The Great Globular Cluster in Hercules 
I hope you enjoyed seeing my interpretations. Both pieces will be added to my shop tomorrow

Do go to the reveal on June 30 to see what everyone else made. Thanks for stopping by and have a great day

8 comments:

  1. Ohhh how beautiful! I love your galaxy earrings! I can so see Saturn in them. The night glow are very interesting , I love the play on the colors and "stars" Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Veralynne. It feels so nice when others see what I did
      Mona

      Delete
  2. Fabulous earrings ..you rocked the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such cute earrings! I really like the second pair but I'm a sucker for green!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Green is one of my favourite colours too. I think it was that and the blue which stood out for me
      Mona

      Delete
  4. I love it when people find different ways to use things, and how fun that you loved the back of the art beads as much as the front!!!! I also see the galaxys in the polymer clay, beautiful earrings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alison!
      I think it can take people by surprise to see something used in an unusual way
      Mona

      Delete