Monday 25 January 2016

Buried Treasures Challenge

The challenge was issued: “We all have one. Call it a treasure, or a bead stash. Call it loot or inventory.” It’s the Art Jewelry Elements Use your Stash challenge.

This is the second year the group has issued the challenge but my first time participating. When I signed up it was with the idea this was a great challenge to kick start my muse for 2016. The challenge certainly worked in that way. I’ve had ideas popping in out of my mind all month. Maybe there were too many because I had difficulty picking something achievable in the bits of time I had available.

I finally picked a few art beads and began putting together combinations. The lovely and earthy looking oval earthenware bar by Jennie Davis-Reazor wasn’t even in my plans. It was sitting in the same storage bag as a different one I planned to use, and I kept picking colour combinations that worked with it.





I finally decided to go with the flow and made this necklace with glass spikes and tri-beads, flat round discs with 3 angles cut in, tied together with waxed linen. I decided to go longer than my usual necklaces, adding a length of antiqued brass chain for around the neck. The necklace could be slipped over the head but I also added a lobster claw clasp for comfort (and the fact I’ve never been fond of putting a necklace on over my head)


Step into Light Necklace


To see what the AJE team and other guest participants made click on the links below:

AJE team:

Guests: 
Melissa - Bead Recipes
Sarajo - SJDesigns
Kathy - Bay MoonDesigns
Lola - Bead LolaBead
Samantha - Wescott Jewelry
Mona - Bijoux Gem Joy  (You are here)
Suntsa - Suntsan


Thanks for stopping by and have a great day.

22 comments:

  1. I like your combination of spikes and flowing lines, great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great necklace. I love the colors and the combination of shapes and textures in the neckline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tammy. I figured if I was going for a different look I should stretch myself.

      Delete
  3. Glad you listened to your muse. Love the blend of textures and colors on this necklace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shaiha. The colours did "speak" to me lots. :0)

      Delete
  4. I really like your use of the spikes and the wonderful mix of beads you have used

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Niky. The spikes were a stretch for me. Happy they turned out the way I hoped

      Delete
  5. WooHOO! I love it! isn't it great when surprise inspiration hits?! Thank you for joining us this month Mona! You made that simple little stoneware piece sing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy to hear you like the necklace Jenny. Thanks
      Mona

      Delete
  6. The spike give it unique touch...fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were fun to work with but did take a little finesse to get them to sit the way I wanted. Though frankly some are still doing what they want. Thanks Terri
      Mona

      Delete
  7. Ohhh how neat. I love the spikes! really gives it a different kind of look. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Veralynne. Took me awhile to get up the courage to use them but I'm pleased that I did
      Mona

      Delete
  8. Great combination of shapes and textures in this piece! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going for something outside my normal designs. Thank you for the support Melissa.
      Mona

      Delete
  9. Lovely work Mona - really like the spiky effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For something I was nervous about trying, those spikes have been a hit. Thanks for the comment Lesley.
      Mona

      Delete
  10. Really pretty necklace! Sometimes the beads just have a mind of their own. My husband rolls his eyes sometimes when I talk about the beads "speaking to me" but it's totally true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean Sarajo. I getting strange looks and snickers. That's okay though. We do have fun don't we.
      Mona

      Delete
  11. Beautiful necklace! I love the spiky texture!

    ReplyDelete