Wednesday 31 December 2014

Art Bead Scene – December Challenge Blog Hop

I had meant to join in on the November challenge but ended up not being able to participate. Even with everything going on in December I was determined to try my best.

The inspiration for this month is this very structural painting by Pieter Jansz Saenedam.


"Choir of Sint-Bavokerk, Haarlem" 1635
by Pieter Jansz Saenredam
37.1 x 48.2 cm" Oil on Oak Panel

About the Art
Passion for the purity of light and line, so strong an element in Dutch art, is found at its most abstract in the art of Saenredam. He restricted his subject matter largely to the portrayal of whitewashed Dutch ecclesiastical interiors, which he shows stripped of centuries of medieval embellishment by the Reformation's iconoclasm, as seen in the Choir of St. Bavo, Haarlem. It was in this great church that Saenredam and Frans Hals were buried.

My take on the painting is mainly influenced by the form and lines in the structure and hallway flooring.

The first piece I made was influenced by the linear lines of the columns. I chose these gorgeous Bronze Clay rectangles with leaf pattern, created by Lesley Watt of Thea Elements. Lesley added alight stain of colour to bring out the details on the rectangles. I paired them with Silverneedle Agate round gemstones, strung on Rose Gold links, connected with handmade jump rings also in rose gold. I went for a full mixed metals look by topping off the earrings with Sterling Silver ear wires.


Bronze Clay Rectangles,
Sterling Silver, Rose Gold Plated Wire


I was very taken by the optical illusion in the tops of the arches. They appear to have a distinct point at the very top. Examine them closer and you will see this is an illusion. The play of light and the casting of the shadow of one arch onto the next that give this impression. It makes the arches appear to be intertwined.

My second piece is based on these arches. The focal bracelet bar, also by Lesley Watt of Thea Elements, follows the shape, and the colouring of the arches. The beautiful blue and yellow design on the rustic stoneware bar is a brighter interpretation of the colours on the floor and in the chandelier. Where Brandi Hussey saw greens in the columns and floor tiles I saw shades of blue, and ran with it.

I used clear Yellow Quartz gemstone nuggets and a lighter blue tone of glass tri-beads to bring the bracelet bar colours all the way around, then added antiqued brass spacers and clasp to pull the rustic look throughout the bracelet. Two strands give the right balance to the width of the focal bar.

Starburst Bracelet


Rustic Stoneware Bracelet Bar, Yellow
Quartz, Blue Glass Tri-beads, Antiqued Brass

Now check out what everyone else has created here.



6 comments:

  1. I'm amazed by the intricate patterns and colors you found in the painting--things I had not noticed! I really like what you've made, and I'm especially impressed by the bracelet. The focal bead not only matches the colors, it seems like a burst of energy and reminds me of the cathedral ceiling in several ways. Twisting the strands of the bracelet was also inspired! Wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I actually printed out a copy of the inspiration and studied it for awhile. Even now I'm still not sure if my interpretation of the shapes is accurate. Unless I go there myself I'll probably never know for sure.

      Delete
  2. Fabulous! I love that yellow quartz, especially some of the squarish shapes. It is so nice to see that you used rose gold, I didn't occur to me but I am hording mine untill I have more than a tiny pile, thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I was saving it too, until I realized I have a small roll and if I never use it then it'll never bee seen. It took remarkably little. :-)

      Delete
  3. I love your bracelet. The colors are wonderful. Lesley's components are always gorgeous. Your selection of her bracelet bar works beautifully. It mirrors the arches. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You achieved such a lovely color play, and the brilliance of the beads--delicious!

    ReplyDelete